Wednesday, March 25, 2015

tattoos-turning tragedy into beauty

I love, love, love tattoos. The idea that you can display art on your body is amazing to me.

While I won't deny there are awful tattoos out there, when done right, tattoos can turn something tragic into something beautiful. 

Mastectomies are often used as a treatment for breast cancer, and there are many women who get them as a preventative measure. While it can help reduce the risk of cancer, losing a part of your physical self is devastating. 

A growing number of women are using tattoos as a way to cope with the scars left behind after the surgery. 

Breast cancer affects about 1 in 8 U.S. women in their lifetime. To learn more about breast cancer, please visit http://www.breastcancer.org/

Below are a few of my favorite mastectomy tattoos:


ryot.org

ryot.org

ryot.org

ryot.org

ryot.org


7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post! I too love tattoos. I feel that they help people express themselves and they are also helpful in getting to know a person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had unlimited amounts of money, I would be covered in tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really cool, never heard of this before. It's absolutely beautiful, really a way to express oneself and turning some tragic into art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible use of talent to empower others. This is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love tattoos! Likewise, if I had the money, I would have so many more. Slowly but surely, though, I'll get my sleeve! I always enjoy asking people about their ink. Everyone has such a unique story that they get to paint onto their skin through the art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone! This is one of my favorite ways tattoos can inspire and help people overcome tragic situations.

    ReplyDelete